Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tragedy Strikes the Farm


Our Beautiful Eor




Ila Mae with Ricky






Ila Mae with Jay (Eor hidden in background)



Eor and Ila Mae, the two gentlest, sweetest donkeys to ever grace this world, are dead this morning.


They were victims of the savage electrical storm that swept through our part of the state overnight. Both babies were laying on the ground, nose to nose, beneath a huge tree that was split down the middle by lightning.




They died beneath the deceiving shelter of that massive tree, as they sought refuge during the storm. Both are victims of the lightning strike that severed the tree.


There are no words to describe the loss of these two special animals.




We will never again hear the playful hee-haw of our precious Eor as he gallps across the pasture. Never again will we kiss Ila Mae or Eor on their soft, velvety lips or put our arms around their necks and rub our faces against theirs.


Ila Mae has gone to join her precious baby, Aiden, whom we lost this past August. I hope that Eor and Ila Mae and Aiden are galloping happily over grassy fields in a place that is safe, where they are free from the pain and suffering of this life.


So many of you who have visited the farm know Eor and Ila Mae, the loving donkeys who would visit our guests and happily munch on treats of raisin bread or cinnamon rolls.


It is hard to imagine life on the farm without them. It will never, can never be the same.


We are devastated.

15 comments:

Leila said...

I am so very sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you grieve for these precious babies. I hope you can have some comfort in knowing that you gave them love, a home, and the best times of their lives, and that you will always have the memories of the wonderful times you spent with them.
Leila Baldridge

Unknown said...

I am in tears for you all. That is so sad. Poor things were seeking shelter. My goodness, my prayers for each of you.

June said...

Dear SDF- I am so sorry for your loss. These freak accidents are impossible to prepare for, there is no way to predict something like this. Please know that you gave them the happiest days of their lives. If there is anything we can do, please let us know.

June @ Dogtown Ranch

Unknown said...

Even though the love you had for these animals couldn't save them,the love they received while they were alive was so great. They knew every day that they could depend on being fed and well taken care of. My prayers are with all of you!

Unknown said...

What heartbreaking tragedy... and a horrific day for you both and the farm. My deepest sympathies for your devastating loss.
Barb Staves

A Dog in My Car said...

i am so very sorry to hear of this untimely loss. my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Shadow#10 said...

As one who loves donkeys, my heart breaks thinking of what you are going through during this time of loss. What beautiful creatures - thank you for caring for them as long as you did. I hope it helps to know that others share your pain. Linda Ross-Hall

yummy edward said...

I am SO horribly saddened to hear about the loss of your precious Eor and Il Mae! What a terrible way to die! It makes you wonder if there really is a god. At least they died together, nose to nose, and are now with Aiden, and and like you said - in peace from the pain and sadness and tragedy of this cruel world. I'm happy they had you to show them love and compassion, and to give them a wonderful life on the farm. Sincerely, Julie Anast - Arlington, TX.

Melody said...

My heart goes out to you all. I know they are romping with the angels and watching out over everyone at the farm.

Unknown said...

My condolences on the loss of your sweet donkeys. I am so sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

I am so very sorry for this terrible loss of those two wonderful animals that gave so much joy and happiness to those who visited the Farm. My thoughts and prayers go out for all the sadness and sorrow you are feeling today and in the weeks ahead.
I do believe that they are now in a beautiful place where it is safe and perfect and they are perfect, now and eternally.

Lewis P said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of these gentle creatures.I know there is nothing I can say that will take your pain away.
Please know that others are sharing your grief.
Danny- Dallas Tx

Nicole said...

Ricky, Jay and the rest of the smiling dogs family,
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Il May and Eor! What a horrible tragedy!
My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time!

Huge hugs!

Nicole in CT

Unknown said...

Hi SMDF Family, My heart breaks over this tragic events, Ginny and I had such a blast with them when we were down there. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Bet they are watching over you all from the other side of the bridge and will patiently await you then greet you with their love Ed C

Unknown said...

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. My heart just breaks for all of you. There are no words that can ease your pain and grief, just know that there are many prayers being said for you. Susan Loyd